We do it every year, make resolutions and pretend that we'll keep them until Dec 31st. Unfortunately, most of us tap out around March although the gym gets less crowded around February. Instead of making a list of things I want to do, I decided to come up with 10 things I will stop doing. After all, we all have bad habits that we can knick right? So let's get to it!
1. Skipping on sleep: I'm getting close to 30, in fact I'm turning 28 in a couple of weeks, which means my body needs its rest. It also means that I cannot stay up (or out) until 3AM and expect to be able to function at 6AM. Once in awhile is fine, but late night editing and early morning meetings are not ideal. I will be setting an alarm on my iPhone to ring promptly at midnight so that I can get in at least 6.5 hours of sleep (per day).
2. Overlooking the little things: My boyfriend says it all the time to me, "you never remember the little things." I get so caught up thinking about the big picture that I tend to forget about the minor stuff that helps create the big picture. Nothing happens overnight and I need to remember that. Hard work always pays off and some progress is better than none.
3. Spending time on things and people who don't add value to your life: It's a waste of energy and you shouldn't have to be guilt tripped into hanging out with someone. If you feel depleted doing it then that means that you really do not care. Letting go doesn't mean ending your friendship or quitting your job on a whim, but it does mean that you should reanalyze and rethink how you spend your time. The last thing you want is to regret the time you've lost.
4. Dreaming: By this, I mean saying I'm going to do this one day or that I'll eventually go there. I need to start planning and putting my dreams into actions (instead of procrastinating). I have a million excuses as to why I cannot so I need to change those thoughts to I can.
5. Being a perfectionist: I think it's a Capricorn thing, but I will spend hours straightening out a photo, rewriting notes until I'm happy with how my handwriting looks, and have the biggest pet peeve when it comes to unread e-mails. I'm sure no one else notices these things except me so I really need to relax.
6. FOMO: If you're not up to date with the lingo, it means fear of missing out. I always feel like I'm missing out when I don't end up going to an event and later see it on Instagram. I need to learn to let go of that feeling and just enjoy life as is. Also, it may look fun on IG but you really never know how the event actually is unless you're there. Don't believe everything you see on social media.
7. Worrying about things I cannot control: Can't control someone's behavior and you can't change someone if they don't want to. As frustrating as that may be, it's the truth and I have to accept that. It'll make my life easier and less stressful.
8. Apologizing: One of the most eye opening conversations I had was with Carol Ann, owner of Can Can Parleur. She told me that I have to stop apologizing for other people's actions and behavior. Why should I be held accountable for their lack of responsibility? As a woman, you're prone to apologize all the time and we need to learn to stop! Don't be sorry for others and don't be sorry for being you.
9. Holding it in: Growing up, I was taught to hold your tongue. It was either I shut up or get spanked. This conditioned behavior has yet to be changed and is something I'm definitely going to be working on the most. Keeping it all in will drive you crazy and yes, I've had a few breakdowns before too. Certainly not helping me mentally, emotionally, or physically so this has to be removed from my life.
10. Leaving the dishes in the sink: As silly as this sounds, I need to stop leaving my dirty dishes in the sink for more than 24 hours. This is just me being lazy and the fact that I hate washing dishes. I wish I could teach my cats how to clean the dishes for me.
So if you've made it this far and actually read all 10 things, thank you. While these are things I will stop doing, there is one thing I want to start doing more and that's writing for a reason. I'll be mixing in more articles alongside the restaurant and hotel reviews. I started this blog to inspire and I'll be focusing more on this idea in 2016.
Thank you to all those who supported me in the last 2 years and who are still here<3 I love you all!